Wednesday, May 21, 2014

An Apology and Retraction



I owe a public apology to two Christian brothers and to those to whom I have conveyed false information about those two brothers.
As a result of at least two conversations I had with them over the winter, I wrote this post and others subsequent, accusing them of harboring the mentality that those who engage in ungodly activities while in uniform can claim moral justification by noting that they were “just following orders.” As I remember the conversations, I was aghast at what I had heard and asked for clarification. However, they told me today in as many words that they have never held that conviction, so I must have heard wrongly both initially and after asking for clarification.
I believe they are men of integrity, so I accept their word and take the blame for misunderstanding them. I’m not happy that I have to admit to gross error, but as unnerving as it is to find that facts I thought I had checked were wrong, I am glad that my disagreements with those brothers are less fundamental than my misconception had led me to believe.
Brothers, please forgive me. I will be more careful in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment